Congregation Beth Tikvah
Carlisle, PA 17013
Friday Night Shabbat Services, Asbell Center:
Organized by DeAnna Spurlock, and with various Congregation members leading the discussions, the SummerReading Series proved to be fun, well-attended events the past two summers. The first two of Summer 2019 were big successes, too.
On July 12, Carol Sharp opened the discussion by saying, "I hated this book!". DeAnna writes, "Carol explained that she did not like works of fantasy as another participant chimed in, “I hate fantasy, too!” From there another opined the book was a romance novel—even lascivious in parts. And on and on into intriguing discussions of fairy tales, the Golem, the novel’s setting and descriptions of the transformations from human to bear and human to swan and back again, even a poem by Christina Rossetti called “Goblin Market,” an inspiration for large parts of Sisters of the Winter Wood. "
The discussion ended with some hearty applause for Carol Sharp.
In addition to candle-lighting, there were blessings over wine and challah, and Kaddish was recited, too.
Here is the schedule for the remaining event: There is a vegetarian potluck Shabbat dinner at 6:15 p.m. followed by the book discussion. (please note that potluck start time is 15 minutes later than previous discussions.)
August 9 (Jill Bruce, leader; candle-lighting by Sara Markowitz)
"The book is available through Amazon, Ebay, local libraries and bookstores as well as local college and university libraries.
"Please join us and bring friends and family as well to these informal, always interesting, and welcoming events. We look forward to seeing you."
Fill-the-Bus/Carlisle4Kids is a community event for collection and distribution of backpacks and school supplies for kids in needs in the Carlisle community. It is sponsored by the United Way, Project SHARE, the Carlisle Area Religious Council, and many local churches, organizations, and businesses.
· Fill-the-Bus, community collection at WalMart in Carlisle on July 19 and 20, from 9:00 AM – 6:00 PM
· Carlisle4Kids – distribution at the Carlisle Expo Center, August 8, 11:00 AM – Noon for children with special needs, and general distribution from 2:00 – 6:00 PM
· Collection at individual sites – collection boxes delivered on June 21 and picked up on July 22 by United Way and Project SHARE
Ways your congregation can help
· Make a financial contribution
· Volunteer at Carlisle4Kids distribution. Any amount of time is welcome
· Identify families in your congregations that could benefit from this event and help them to sign up at uwcarlisle.org/fill-the-bus/
What is Needed (items not yet committed)
· Elementary School backpacks (600)
· Pocket folders (2400)
· 3 ring binders and loose leaf paper (1200/400packs)
· Mechanical pencils and regular pens (400 of each)
· Hot dogs, chips, fruit, water, and juice
In addition, there will be a prayer table at the distribution and volunteers are needed from 11-12, 2-4 and 4-6. Prayer leaders will be responsible for all prayer activities during their time slot, which includes prayer needs of families at the event, and follow-up if necessary after the event. If you are interested in volunteering at the prayer table, contact Gale du Pont firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information, to donate or volunteer contact Bob Weed, RWeed@projectsharepa.org or Jessica Poe Jessica@uwcarlisle.org.