Congregation Beth Tikvah
Carlisle, PA 17013
Friday Night Shabbat Services, Asbell Center:
Organized by DeAnna Spurlock, and with various Congregation members leading the discussions, the SummerReading Series proved to be fun, well-attended events the past two summers.
Our third annual CTB Summer Reading Series is now set. Once again, we’ll be able to enjoy delicious vegetarian potluck Shabbat dinners and lively, stimulating book discussions at the Asbell Center during the lazy days of summer. Dinners will start at 6 p.m., followed by discussion. Here is the schedule:
June 14 (Michael Meketon, discussion leader; Sara Markowitz will do Shabbat candle lighting.)
Sara Markowitz will do a Shabbat
July 12 (Carol Sharp, leader)
August 9 (Jill Bruce, leader)
These books are available through Amazon, Ebay, local libraries and bookstores as well as local college and university libraries.
Special thanks to Ariel Franchak, Michael Meketon, and Ethel Carryer for recommending the above three books which are well worth the read and thank you to Carol Sharp, Michael Meketon, and Jill Bruce as well for agreeing to serve as discussion leaders this summer!
Please join us and bring friends and family as well to these informal, always interesting, and welcoming events. We look forward to seeing you in June.
Fill-the-Bus/Carlisle4Kids is a community event for collection and distribution of backpacks and school supplies for kids in needs in the Carlisle community. It is sponsored by the United Way, Project SHARE, the Carlisle Area Religious Council, and many local churches, organizations, and businesses.
· Fill-the-Bus, community collection at WalMart in Carlisle on July 19 and 20, from 9:00 AM – 6:00 PM
· Carlisle4Kids – distribution at the Carlisle Expo Center, August 8, 11:00 AM – Noon for children with special needs, and general distribution from 2:00 – 6:00 PM
· Collection at individual sites – collection boxes delivered on June 21 and picked up on July 22 by United Way and Project SHARE
Ways your congregation can help
· Become a table champion. Table champions are collection sites for a specific item and they help on distribution day to hand out those items they collected.
· Be a collection site for any needed items
· Make a financial contribution
· Volunteer at Fill-the-Bus. Slots are 3-hours but all are welcome even if you have an hour to give
· Volunteer at Carlisle4Kids distribution. Any amount of time is welcome
· Identify families in your congregations that could benefit from this event and help them to sign up at uwcarlisle.org/fill-the-bus/
What is Needed (items not yet committed)
· Elementary School backpacks (600)
· Pocket folders (2400)
· 3 ring binders and loose leaf paper (1200/400packs)
· Mechanical pencils and regular pens (400 of each)
· Hot dogs, chips, fruit, water, and juice
In addition, there will be a prayer table at the distribution and volunteers are needed from 11-12, 2-4 and 4-6. Prayer leaders will be responsible for all prayer activities during their time slot, which includes prayer needs of families at the event, and follow-up if necessary after the event. If you are interested in volunteering at the prayer table, contact Gale du Pont email@example.com
For more information, to donate or volunteer contact Bob Weed, RWeed@projectsharepa.org or Jessica Poe Jessica@uwcarlisle.org.